Sunday 15 April 2007

Want to go to work tomorrow?

I work flexible hours, and love it. It's great to be able to arrange my own day and decide when and how I get my work done.

But a company in California has gone several steps further, by not regulating what days their employees work. Vacations are flexible, both how many and how long. All they monitor is whether you get the work done.

It's a fascinating idea, and I wonder how far it could go. I can see it working at Wikia - I know I haven't taken all my holiday allowance this year, and I'm sure many of my colleagues haven't either. At Wikia we tend to work far too much, because it's fun!

But I can think of past workplaces where this would not work. Try this at the UK Ministry of Agriculture, and all you would have is empty rooms.

Credit: Ace_NoOne on #Wikia