Monday 21 July 2008

The steampunk laptop

Yesterday I considered the idea of a gold plated eeePC. But instead of that, how about an antique-style laptop with a brass keyboard and a wooden case?

I love the wind-up mechanism for the on/off switch, that's a beautiful touch. And the whole look is very special... if not very practical. I think the one part I really covet is that beautiful etched brass keyboard.

This is "steampunk" at its finest. Transforming or creating modern objects in a style based on Victorian technology. The concept is to show what modern day objects would look like in a fantasy reality where technology hasn't moved on from steam (or has fallen back to that level).

Although I think it's more about having the chance to make something beautiful and fun.

Credit: Splarka
Image: datamancer.net, used with permission.